Dodgy Clutch? Golf Mk.4 03

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys hope someone can help me.
I have a 2003(03) mk4 golf match 1.6 16v
I noticed the other day the car would make abit of a grinding noise as it reversed which at the time I thought was a loose mud flap as I'd found the one under the engine was hanging off!
However now this is fixed it persisted so I've had a play around. It doesn't happen when I gas nor when the clutch is riding the gear. But only when the clutch is all the way to the floor with no gas (with some momentum obviously). But this doesn't happen when I put it into neutral and coast with the same momentum :/
I stopped on a slight slope in neutral and let it slowly move backwards, I put it in reverse and felt it move into gear before lifting the clutch. By felt I mean being aware the engine sound changing etc and the gear stick became stiffer as they do when clutch is lifted.
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance. Mark

Sponsored Links
Not too clear about this one Mark, but do you think it could be the rear brakes binding, or something catching in that area?
John :)

Sorry my writing skills aren't amazing!
The noise comes from the engine when the car is moving but only when in reverse with the clutch all the way down. In theory clutch down should be the same as car in neutral right? The noise only occurs when the clutch is down in reverse and car moving. But not when in neutral and moving the same.
Hope that makes more sense.
Mark

Well, when you are coasting in reverse (clutch down) the gearbox internals are still rotating, but most of them stop when in neutral......
Maybe there is some differential gear wear here, but that would normally show in forward gear, at the same speed.
Lets wait for other contributions, and meanwhile I'll have a think!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just seems quite an unnatural noise is all.
It's going in the garage soon anyway so will ask the mechanic and show him if need be. I'm seriously not mechanically minded so always good to have a few ideas to go in with is all!
Thanks for thinking though!
Mark.

Back