VW Passat Cam Belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please
My poor son purchased a Passat 3 weeks ago ( 1.8 20 valve) tonight his car spluttered and stopped,( he was traveling at about 35 mph) the cam belt has snapped, and 8-9 teeth have been sheared off. Is there an easy way to check if he has valve damage with out taking the head off ?
I know some cars are more prone to damage than others when the belt snaps.
Oh yes when we looked in the boot for a torch.... there was an old valve under the carpet, so it looks like this motor has suffered the same problem before
Thanks
Lynn

Sponsored Links
Lynn

Yes, first the belt has to be replaced then a compression check done.I'm sorry to say but I think all "Passats" are classed as "interference engines"and damage is most likely to occur.
:cry:

Thanks Jonny as I feared ( a new engine) I bet every valve and piston is smashed, I was just praying it was one of those engine that would escape the wrath of the belt .
I called my son this morning to try and convey to him how much damage there could be ( he thinks after a new belt he will be back on the road) HA!
I called VW today apparently there is a problem with tensioner ( mainly 98's) Belts have been slipping, jumping and snapping and they have a modified tensioner.... it looks like this has been the problem with my sons car previously, and now.
Any one out there with a passat, check you have the " new tensioner fitted"
Lynn

Sponsored Links
Back