W Reg Fiat Punto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, where to start.

I was on a journey the other day, the car was sluggish and the exhaust had in fact dropped off the rubber bit at the back. When I was approaching an island on a slight hill, the car in fact stalled and would not start back up again. I pulled the handbrake on, got it into neutral and put my hazards on.

Meanwhile, my handbrakestarted to have smoke coming out of it.

When my break down people came, they started it back up and the engine was really ratling, more so than usual.

The end reslt from the breakdown folk that came was that they were quering engine misfiring, they said it was running on 2 cylinders instead of four.

Also there was oil on the gearbox tubing from aleak from somewhere.

Shall I just scrap the car?

I've had to have two sets of spark plugs, a new gasket, and a new back box. I've only had the car 4 months.

Anyone got any advice?

Please Get In Touch

Im a 19 year old lad with not much experience.

Any advce/help is appreciated

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi. The misfire on two cylinders (1&4 or 2&3) is caused by a faulty coil pack or a faulty ECU or both. I would advise changing the coil packs (2) first, if that doesn't cure it you will need an ECU repair or replacement.

;)

the ECU on the Fiat Punto is normally unrepairable small unit on the back of the inlet manifold part number is normally IAW59FM3 or IAW59FM2
Oil leak I would not worry about unless it was losing loads of oil
The hand break is a bit more concerning was it just left on a small amount or have you notice a loss of brake fluid if so it may be a leaking rear servo in the drum

It was smoking just a little when the car broke down. It was pulled up to the max that it could be.

Someone my dad knows thinks it could be the piston irngs, but h says it would be cheaper to get a new reconditioned engin than pay for the piston to be done.

Des that sound about right?

Help Me

Sponsored Links
It's hard to diagnose it here You might be as well to take it to a garage and get a diagnosis and an estimate for repairs.

Thanks jonny, Ill have a look, I've changed 2 & 3 in the spark plugs, there was oil on the bottom of the plugs though. So there has to be a further problem there, is that what happened to you?

How much did it cost to have those two parts replaced?

Thanks for the help 2 :D

Hi.
The cost was £270 for the parts. I think you need to have a fault readout done first. If it is a coil pack/ECU problem it should flag up a fault code for "fault on no.2 coil circuit (coil for 2&3 cylinders).

If your cylinders are ok (compressions etc.).
Try swapping the coil packs over and see if the misfire goes from 2&3 to 1&4, if it doesn't it will be the ECU.

If you exchange the ECU it is recommended to renew the coil packs also.

;)

Sponsored Links
Back