Walk in shower enclosure leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had a hidden tray walk in shower fitted by my builder.

I ordered the kit myself complete with tanking boards and sealing tape.

The builder completed the job and I noticed that none of the sealing tape had been used. He said that the adhesive should seal it.

He has tiled and grouted but not sealed the floor joins.

We started using the shower and as you can imagine, water has started leaking under the floor in the next room.

I understand that we need to seal the floor, but will this be enough?

My concern is that this will not provide enough water proofing.

My builder is saying that sealing the corners will be enough but I'm worried that in a years time I will have a leak with the builder well gone.

Do you think I just just let him seal with sealant? WIll that be a good enough fix or should I get all the tiles pulled up so that the sealing tape can be used as specified by the supplier?

The later seems the obvious choice but with the tiling all being completed already and the probability of destroying the tray when we pull it up it's not goign to be an easy fix.

What do you think?

Seal and see what happens or insist on redoing the job?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
have you a pic of this install ? it gives a better idea.

if your talking about the tanking sealing tape that you use to place round the edge of the tanking boards and tray then yes you must use this as the tile adhesive won't make it water tight.

have you a pic of this install ? it gives a better idea.

if your talking about the tanking sealing tape that you use to place round the edge of the tanking boards and tray then yes you must use this as the tile adhesive won't make it water tight.

Thanks, I will try get some pictures up.

But do you think it will be enough to use flexible sealant to seal the shower?

My worry is that this will be the only line of defence and the manufacturer recommends using the tape in case the sealant fails.

Sponsored Links
to get your full warranty you must fit as per instructions.
you must fit the tape thats why they give it in the kit.

he'll have to fix at his expence he left the tape out and advised it would be ok. or more like he forgot it.

it won't last like that as you have found out.

don't pay any labour till its done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back