Wall cracks, lintels, poor building work etc etc etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So our new house has an issue with some minor cracks above some upstairs windows, they range from hair line to 3-4mm at max.

Several builders have looked, one suggest stictching the brick work and another resin injection with both saying that to finish with overboarding.

However....

I am keen to do this job properly and unsure if the issues are caused by either the brickwork (theres a straight non bonded joint to a soft cinder block) or eccentic movement of the boot lintels.

Structural surveyor said to ignore the cracks and fill them in, however i fear this would not solve the issue and they would come back.

I'm happy to give most things a go so likely to DIY if possible, but would love some advice on how to best proceed.

Sponsored Links
I'd listen to the engineer if I were you. He sees these things day in and day out.

if you engineer gives you written instructions to proceed with the filling , then do it. Its his insurance will then pay for the work when it fails . Else either hammer in a 2" wide bit of galvanized plate 1/4" thick into the joint so a bit protrudes and supports the lintel. Lift the lintel up and put a bit of grout in plate/lintel joint. point up loose bricks, replaster. Or screw one or two galvanized brackets to the inner recess to hold the lintel up. Select a bracket that will be hidden under the plaster.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Point the cracks with normal mortar. Place a 100mm strip of fine mesh across the crack in the bonding coat of plaster. Then skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back