Wall cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've noticed in the last couple of days that small cracks appeared all over the house. I mean at windows and in corner of the rooms along the walls edges. I am a bit worried. Could this be serious? The cracks are very fine at the moment. the house has been built around 1970. Please advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are the walls/ceilings constructed of plasterboard internally? If they are, then probably the paper tapes put over the joints in the plasterboard, are coming loose. Nothing you can do with it, apart from taking them off and re-taping. If it is that, then it's not a major problem. Tell us more about the what the walls are made of, to get a better idea.

The walls are made of brick, as far as i know, and they have palster board on top.

The walls are made of brick, as far as i know, and they have palster board on top.

Cheers for that Radu,,, your description sounds like dot and dab,, sheets of plasterboard that are stuck onto bricks/block with a board adhesive, and then the joints taped. If the cracks you mention are perfectly straight, then that'll be the tapes are coming loose from the plasterboard. Internal corners, especially where the walls meet the ceiling, and where a wall meets another wall, (in the corners) are where you notice it most. Most people, when they decorate each room would get it re-taped, (remove the old loose ones, and fit new ones). It's not a serious problem at all, but it looks bad. It's not really that expensive to have done either.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for you reply. I've noticed this cracks in bathroom as well. Some of the cracks are not straight, some they look like when rif something off. If you give me an email address i can send you some pictures. Thanks

You can upload pictures onto this forum Radu. If you do that, we can all see them on here and give an opinion/advice.

One against the uPVC window I wouldn't expect a tape there.

They may be shrinkage cracks in the cold weather.
I know I've had some small cracks at home that have got worse over the last 2 weeks.

I'm sure the pros will be along soon to help out for a definitive answer ;)

have these cracks only just come through or have they been there for a while and you only just noticed them.
how long have you been in the place.
have you recently had any work done on your house or out side and around it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back