Cracks along edge of ceiling and walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering putting in an offer on a house but most rooms have cracked sections around the edge of the ceiling where the plasterboard seems to be pulling away from the walls. The property is a 3 storey terraced built in 2002. A couple of the rooms also have floor to ceiling cracks down the corners of the walls, the picture is the worst one. Will flexible filler do the trick or would I need to get something more advanced done to it? Trying to get an idea of the cost involved before deciding if and what to offer to buy it.

Attachments

• IMG_20201031_103831_copy_684x912.jpg
    IMG_20201031_103831_copy_684x912.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_20201031_102955_copy_912x684.jpg
    IMG_20201031_102955_copy_912x684.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_20201031_102941_copy_912x684.jpg
    IMG_20201031_102941_copy_912x684.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 731
Sponsored Links
It's all cosmetic.
Those cracks can be fixed by a good decorator.
I recently saw a plasterer use a metal corner bead for internal corners and I thought it was a good idea.
Why don't they do that as standard?

I don't know the cause, but I fixed some, by injecting expanding foam from above, into the small gap between the wall, the final joist, and the plasterboard, after hoovering clean and moistening with a sprayer. The foam holds the board in place and has enough flex not to crack, and you can use caulk to fill the gap once the foam has set. I used fire foam, just in case.

If you happen to like coving, that will also hide the crack

It's all cosmetic.
Those cracks can be fixed by a good decorator.
I recently saw a plasterer use a metal corner bead for internal corners and I thought it was a good idea.
Why don't they do that as standard?
because its not a good idea

Sponsored Links
Plan B will be a corner tape. Use paper and I seal tape with a bit of thinned pva sometimes. Youtube will show how, but sealing tape is my way

Can you explain please?
Doesn't it make the internal corner stronger?
not in my eyes. in a solid plastered and skimmed wall it would end up a car crash as there’s no flexibility in a metal bead internally ,so when movement through thermal expansion and contraction occurs the corner will destroy itself. hence flexible scrim tape.
for tape and jointed walls paper tape or reinforced steel paper corners are the norm , they end up looking like the ops house though, usually through settlement or cheap shoddy workmanship. although it’s a crappy system to start with and only good for housebuilders to complete newbuilds quickly.
just my opinion

not in my eyes. in a solid plastered and skimmed wall it would end up a car crash as there’s no flexibility in a metal bead internally ,so when movement through thermal expansion and contraction occurs the corner will destroy itself. hence flexible scrim tape.
for tape and jointed walls paper tape or reinforced steel paper corners are the norm , they end up looking like the ops house though, usually through settlement or cheap shoddy workmanship. although it’s a crappy system to start with and only good for housebuilders to complete newbuilds quickly.
just my opinion
It makes sense, thanks.
Go to have a look at those corners in a couple of years to see the damage.
Any repair I ever done I used scrim tape and no cracks.
Mind you, I didn't ever attempt to plaster, only patches here and there.
I leave it to the pros.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back