Wall Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Small retaining wall 18" high, dam shaped. Was going to make a series of holes along the bottom 18" apart, if I heap some gravel up at the back of the holes (4" dome of gravel) hold it all in place with some bigger stones, lay some landscaping fabric over it then cover with earth - will that be good enough ?

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278828
The wall is not going to be rendered and won't be seen from the front as there will be a small drystone type wall build just in front of it.

Was looking for a cheap solution from stuff I have lying about the place, hence the idea of landscaping fabric covering the dome of grvael behind the holes. (the gravel will just be some hardcore with the small stuff washed out!)

So basically what I am asking is; would this idea provide adequate drainage?

Should be fine. I would sooner leave it clear just rubble than use a generic landsapicing fabric. If you had the right grade like terram 1000 of course use it but a normal fabric may clog up quicker than the mud would clog the rubble without it.

Sponsored Links
Should be fine. I would sooner leave it clear just rubble than use a generic landsapicing fabric. If you had the right grade like terram 1000 of course use it but a normal fabric may clog up quicker than the mud would clog the rubble without it.
So the proper fabric could be very different to the landscaping fabric. Think I will give that a miss then in case I make it worse..
Will just form a small enclave with some stones filled with gravel and angle a slate on top to stop soil falling into the gravel - that should be good enough for many years.

In any case at only 18" high and dam shaped it would probably be strong enough without any drainage holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back