Wall height for OBS Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A question whether the OBS board should sit on any of the leaf’s of wall.

I’m constructing a vented flat roof, the closest joist will be a few inches from the inner wall. Should the OBS sit on the brickwork to provide additional support?
See diagram and note I’ve left the inner wall lower, as not sure what the finished wall height should be and if a wall plate is needed (having said that, if a wall plate is fitted, it would be below the joists -leaving a void between the OBS and top of wall plate) ?

upload_2022-2-18_19-46-40.png

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You’d need a gable ladder in the end, resting on the inner wall. You’d want some kind of overhang on the outer wall fix your fascia and soffit to.

The wall I'm referring to is on the side. The flat roof is sloping to the front.

Sponsored Links
Fascia will be added on the side but as its built up the neighbouring boundary, it cant have too much of an overhang.

Hi,

You’d need a gable ladder in the end, resting on the inner wall. You’d want some kind of overhang on the outer wall fix your fascia and soffit to.

Do you mean something like this ? (found image of a pitched roof) - Is it required for a flat roof also?
upload_2022-2-18_22-21-35.png

Yes, that’s what you need to make.

You need to have the end piece of wood to nail your fascia too, even if it’s flush with the outer skin so the fascia sticks out by a couple of cm.

You can’t nail fascia to bricks/blocks as per your first picture.

Here’s a couple of shots of mine

BF401243-CF98-4C65-ACA1-8750436145B9.jpeg
C2E0CFC7-BD8D-4F6F-B5E4-999DB6D2132E.jpeg

I like those pics - Great job :)

I noticed in your picture, that you used the same timber as the joists for the end panel. Is it required to build up the walls between the rungs to the same height of the OSB board ? (Just thinking from an insulation point of view)

Last edited:
I like those pics - Great job :)

I noticed in your picture, that you used the same timber as the joists for the end panel. Is it required to build up the walls between the rungs to the same height of the OSB board ? (Just thinking from an insulation point of view)

No problem. I would use the same wood height as otherwise where you meet at the corner you’ll have different heights where your fascias/soffits meet.

The correct way would be to build and install the gable, then build up the inner skin to nearly the OSB height, then install the insulation (continue the wall insulation up to that same height), then finally put the OSB on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back