Wall Insulation Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi every one,

I wonder if you guys can offer some advice, I have now owned a 3 bed 1960’s semi for just over a year.

I was planning on getting the walls insulated, the end wall is a cavity type and we had a quote for silver bond bead, but the front and back walls are single layer brick with steel uprights, wood frame then plasterboard the gap between the plaster and the wall has to be over 7 inches, the bloke said you cant use the silver bond bead as it will push the plasterboard of the wood frame.

My question is, are there any other alternatives? (other than taking down the current plasterboard and fitting insulated stuff (to expensive)).

I was thinking of fire resistant packaging of some sort like polystyrene (but obvisuly not Polystyrene as i thnk it quite flamable?) if I can find enough of it?

Sponsored Links
Yeah thanks i gave them a ring, but they think i will have problems with damp and suggested polystirene beads, i read up in it and have found info that said polystirene in contact with PVC i.e. electric cable can damage the cable by lechin chemicals? does that sound right?

Sponsored Links
I think expanded polystyrene leaches plasticiser from PVC insulation, making it brittle.

Plasterboard is quite easy to work with. It might be worth taking it down and installing something like Crown Dritherm mineral wool batts. Use Duplex plasterboard to give a vapour barrier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back