Putting plasterboard up on a studded brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Put some plasterboard onto a stud frame which is onto a internal brick wall. The problem is that this brick wall is pretty cold to the touch as its an outside wall. Should I put insulation in? Or polystyrene sheets? Or leave as is?

It's just plain old gyproc I used, no foil back or anything.

Also it's my bathroom, I will be tiling directly onto the plaster board

Sponsored Links
It's internal but the other side of the wall is the outside of my house. That's why it's cold, just not sure if I need anything in the wall cavity.

Sponsored Links
Insulation behind the plasterboard will reduce heat loss so do it. There many ways to approach it, you can either get separate insulation and plasterboard and fix it to battens that are fixed to the wall or you could use insulated plasterboard and fix it to the wall with adhesive, these are just two ways. That said if your tiling is going to get wet ie behind the shower then aquaboard would be a better choice, or moisture resistant plasterboard at the very least. There should be a vapour barrier, either a separate one between the plasterboard and the insulation, foil backed plasterboard or if you used insulated plasterboard then the VB would already be in place behind the PB. Most decent insulation will come with a foil face which goes between the insulation and the PB and this acts as the VB.

Polystyrene is not a very good insulator, Celotex or Kingspan are twice as good, though more than twice the price.

So I have plasterboard'd the full room with normal plaster board. I should have mentioned that lol. My aim is to tank the area above the bath where the shower will be.

I don't want to replace any plasterboard, just add something inbeteeen the brickwork and the plasterboard (if needed!). Can someone provide a link for something suitable I can slot inbetween? :)

Thanks for the help

Do the studs start at the floor and go up to the ceiling? Does the PB not go from the floor to the ceiling? Or am I missing something? How will you slide rigid insulation in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back