putting up a tv wall bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. is there anyone out there that can help me please. I have a Tecknica swing and tilt wall bracket BUT I have a stud wall- (It does say on the instructions not to fit it to a stud wall) but surely I am not the only person in the country who wants to put their TV onto a stud wall.

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE A.S.A.P.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum.

Fixing your bracket to a stud wall is certainly possible. To answer your question, first search this forum: there's a great deal of information here already in previous threads.

Then come back if you have further specific questions.

I have to back Dave M up on the Plasplugs. I used them for a partition wall in the kitchen some years ago in order to put cupboards up.

Sponsored Links
The plasplug, although good in may respects, are not likely to provide the support required, du to the fact that a TV on a tilt and swivel bracket will exert quite a sizeable force pulling away from the wall rather than a vertical shearing force.

Spring toggles are not likely to spread far enough to prevent them and a chunk of plasterboard being ripped away, and finding one stud to screw into may not be sufficient, quite apart from it probably not being where the op wants to put the TV anyway!

As I cannot locate the "Tecknica swing and tilt wall bracket " and assume a spelling error, it would be helpful if the op could recheck the spelling or preferably provide a link for an accurate appraisal. My initial guess would be to either mark the wall around the perimeter of the wallplate, cut a hole within the permimeter large enough to insert timbers behind it, and screw the plate to these; or to locate the nearest studs either side of the proposed placement and screw a surface mounted timber onto these and attach the plate to this.

I wonder how many TVs will be coming down in the next few years, especially if people are trying to fix them with plasterboard fixings.

I wonder how many TVs will be coming down in the next few years, especially if people are trying to fix them with plasterboard fixings.
Quite - they should know that the red rawlplugs are better than the yellow ones. :rolleyes: ;)

Its a TECHNIKA PRO LARGE TILT & SWING FLAT SCREEN TV BRACKET.and its a 32" tv.
I purchased the TechniKa flat screen TV from TESCO'S and I purchased the correct bracket to go with TV from TECSO's also. One problem is I can'd do to much to the wall - as I am renting the house - and I don't think my landlord would be too happy if I do too much to his wall.

PS> sorry for the spelling error!!! :oops:

Then fix battens or a board to the face of the wall, making sure you hit all the studs, and fix your bracket to this. If you do it right, the resulting holes in the existing wall will be easy to fill when you move on.

Then fix battens or a board to the face of the wall, making sure you hit all the studs, and fix your bracket to this. If you do it right, the resulting holes in the existing wall will be easy to fill when you move on.
Totally agree. You could buy or borrow a stud detector to help locate where to screw the battens into.

piece of 18mm plywood the same size as the TV, painted black and secured to the studwork..

piece of 18mm plywood the same size as the TV, painted black and secured to the studwork..
Plus, if you are worried about additional screw holes going through the wallplate and ply into the wall, use nuts and coachbolts (and washers) by drilling holes for the plate, and fixing the plate to the ply by feeding the bolts from the back and using the nuts on the front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back