Wall mounting 42" flat screen TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure where's best to post this but here goes...

I have a 40" flat screen LCD TV and a bracket to go on a wall. The wall is a bricked up chimney breast that has been boarded over and plastered. When I tap on the wall I can hear studs and spaces but none of these studs line up with where the bracket would be central. How should I approach this?

Sponsored Links
modern TV's are very light.

you can either use spring toggles through the PB or find the wooden supports and screw into these or if paranoia takes over frame fixing screws into the brick.

Just use extra long screws and span any gap with an off-cut of pipe [copper is fine or a bit of coat rail etc] Or any scrap of timber to the correct depth.
Are you sure there are stud and it's not dot and dab?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there are stud and it's not dot and dab?

I'm leaning more towards stud because I'm hearing that solid sound when I knock all the way up and down what I think are the verticals.

Thanks for the input everyone! If anyone has any other pointers, feel free to weigh in! I won't be doing the job til next week.

if it was mine,i would knock a hole in the wall AND be sure where/what everything is so that i get the correct measurements etc.
once youve done that fill the hole up etc then proceed with fixing it to the wall using the right fixings.

As above and you would be able to hide the cables as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back