TV Mount Straight Into Plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks

I have recently bought our first house, an old Victorian house with a 36m2 living roomer/diner. In the front of the living room stands a “fake” studded chimney stack, there used to be a chimney here but then they decided to knock it out from the ground up and then supported correctly in the loft space. Anyway for whatever reason they decided to reconstruct the fireplace some years later using a stud and plywood approach, no plaster.

With the above in mind we are wanting to mount the tv on this fake chimney breast albeit it unconventionally quite low down which shouldn’t be an issue but just wondered whether it’s safe enough just to rely on the ply alone holding a 50” lcd screen on brackets or whether I should rethink the whole approach. I can see behind the construction from the fake opening below and it is single sheets of ply mounted to a damn solid frame.

Thanks for any assistant

Sponsored Links
It depends on how thick the ply is.....ideally try to screw into the timber frame itself if you can.
John :)

Hi John,

Appreciate the reply, unfortunately theres literally just two sheets laid across the frame with a middle strut going across, I could possibly get behind the boarding and put in some additional framework I guess. Current ply is around 12mm

Thanks

How big is the tv?
We hang tv's on ply loads of times. 18mm would be better but you would get away with a modern 50" on 12mm if you use a decent amount of short coarse screws to fix the mount to the wall

But you will need to run cables or it will look crap.
So you could add a layer of thicker ply over the top first, or somehow insert something inside.
If it is hollow enough then drill a large circular hole that fits a 13a plug and drop all the cables inside and find a way to get them out lower down.

I hate tv's on walls as the height is normally wrong

If you want to use a boom on the bracket, ignore the above as you need better fixings

Sponsored Links
12mm ply will be fine, just screw mounting bracket directly too it.
Screen centre should be just above eye level when seated.

If you are concerned, take it down - add new studding and put the ply back up.
Ensure the studding is where you would be screwing in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back