TV on party wall -breezeblock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our new tv is too big for the table we normally have it on and space is an issue- the obvious answer is to mount it on the wall.

We have checked with our neighbour to see if he minds us using the party wall (its a semi detached) and he is fine, and he pointed out that due to age he is mostly deaf and has his tv full blast anyway (we can hear his tv clearly but i never make a fuss)

When i took our old gas fire out (same side of the room but in a chimney breast) i noticed it was breeze blocks rather than brick at the back of the fireplace, so the party wall 'may' be breezeblock rather than brick

Is this likely to cause an issue for either myself or the tv company if i get them to mount it? (i havent decided whether to do it myself yet)
i dont know if there are issues drilling breezeblocks (its a late 70's house)

The blocks themselves (below) had some shrinkage cracking (which the guy who took the fire out said was normal) but i have no idea if they are hollow or solid
1704560574683.png

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the blockwork is particularly soft or poor it may be worthwhile fixing a plywood pattress to the wall and hanging the TV off that. Something like 12mm plywood a bit smaller than the TV would do the job and could be painted out. The plywood allows you to put multiple fixings into the blockwork as required and unlike the mounting plates for a TV the number and position of your fixings is not constrained. It can be very frustrating to find the position on wall where you want to fix your bracket us seemingly made of cream cheese

If the blockwork is particularly soft or poor it may be worthwhile fixing a plywood pattress to the wall and hanging the TV off that. Something like 12mm plywood a bit smaller than the TV would do the job and could be painted out. The plywood allows you to put multiple fixings into the blockwork as required and unlike the mounting plates for a TV the number and position of your fixings is not constrained. It can be very frustrating to find the position on wall where you want to fix your bracket us seemingly made of cream cheese

Thanks, i have no idea if it is brick or block to be honest with you. I just know there was block at the back of the fireplace (but there was brick to the side of that). If it is block, i would assume its concrete as its structural.

Thanks, i have no idea if it is brick or block to be honest with you. I just know there was block at the back of the fireplace (but there was brick to the side of that). If it is block, i would assume its concrete as its structural.
Should be fine . Although tv brackets often have 8-10 fixing points as long as a couple are secure will easily hold up a tv.

Sponsored Links
Should be fine . Although tv brackets often have 8-10 fixing points as long as a couple are secure will easily hold up a tv.

Cheers, one other reason for mounting the tv is i am a new grandfather, at 7 months she isnt toddling yet, but i want the tv mounted out of reach so that she cant tip it onto herself or anything.

I may just get currys to mount it or get a tradesman to sort it if blocks might make it more complicated

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back