Electric Fire - Plywood wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I've bought an electric fire with downwards convection. I wanted to create a fake wall in an alcove in our living room, mount our tv and have the fire underneath.

I planned to build out from the alcove quite a bit (its about half a metre deep) so that I could put an inbuilt shelf between the tv and the fire for dvd player, playstation. All the wires would drop behind it all etc.

The fire has arrived and it weighs 22kg. I was thinking I'd mount the tv, fire etc on 3/4 or 1inch plywood fake wall, built out on a frame (assuming 2by2 or something). I'm worried if the wall would take the weight of the fire?

The tv weights less - 12kg...

Any comments / help appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure you mount it so that you have long screws going through the ply and into the battens and I don't see a problem with the weight. I'd be more concerned about heat in close proximity to wood.

Heat rises, may affect the tv, above a fireplace is too high for comfortable viewing long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back