What to do with hole in chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :)

I have a query and would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

We have a small living room and are thinking about how we could make best use of the space. There is a chimney breast in the room that has a hole in it (sealed off) where the fireplace used to be. At the moment it's full of toys.

I wondered about putting some kind of fire in the hole but then realised that could be complicated and expensive...

Then I wondered if it would be possible to wall mount our TV on the breast, but we would like it to be at roughly the same height as it is just now on the TV stand, which I think would require the top part of the hole to be filled in some how. The TV is a Plasma and weighs 26kg I think. I don't know if it would be possible to do this or even where to start, but if we could wall mount the TV it would free up space in the corner where it is at the moment.

I guess my initial questions are:

- Would it be possible to re-shape the hole so the top is lower and so it could hold the DVD player, Sky player etc (there is already a plug socket at the bottom of the hole - it's an extension lead running through the side of the chimney breast plugged into a socket on another wall)? Who would I need to approach to do this - a builder or plasterer?

- Would that be strong enough to hold our TV which I think is heavier than the LED types (I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth buying a new TV as the one we have works fine)?

- Is this a silly idea? Should we do something else with the hole, or just leave it alone?

I will try to post some pictures... I hope it works... please ignore the mess!!

Ultimately I would like to redecorate the whole room, but want to work out how I'd like furniture etc to be before painting etc. View media item 60874 View media item 60875

Sponsored Links
You could just fit a piece of ply or mdf over the position of the tv mount or place it at the top flush with existing surface. Some types of tv mount will fit just to the top section[horizontally], depends which type you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back