Running an ethernet cable through a chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the downstairs of my house there is a disused fireplace, under which the internet router is installed. The fireplace is located in the front room on the ground floor and has a television mounted above it, the cables for which already run through the chimney breast and down to below the fireplace, where the router is among a Sky TV box and so on.

My office is located directly above this room, and the chimney breast runs along one of the walls. I was wondering how difficult it would be to run an ethernet/data cable through this chimney breast from the router on the ground floor and out into my office.

How would I achieve this? What kind of tools would I need to drill the hole into my office? What should I be worried about?

Any advice or questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advnace!

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you want to drill into the chimney void in your office, and then drop a cable down the chimney into the fireplace below?
Quite possible, so long as the chimney isnt to be used again!
I'd use a SDS drill, of a diameter big enough to pass a plastic tube through (which again may have to be big enough to allow the ethernet cable and ends to pass - I dont know about that one)....the tube would act as a guide to prevent the cable snagging.
I'd pass a thin line through first, weighted at the end, which would hopefully find its way down below....that would be the awkward bit!
You'd need a long sds drill bit of course.....maybe around 600mm long or more to reach the chimney void.
John :)

Thanks for your response ^_^

Do you mean you want to drill into the chimney void in your office, and then drop a cable down the chimney into the fireplace below?

That's exactly what I want to do, yeah.

Are chimney voids usually coated in anything on the inside or is there something similar I should be worried about?

Thanks again for your response :)

Depending on the age of the property, the chimney maybe of brick construction, with the inside partially rendered with cement (called 'parging' , if I recall). The chimney will be square or rectangular, and it will be as rough as hell on the inside.
Alternatively the chimney may be formed with sections of round cement pipe, but I'd doubt it.
Either way, a quality masonry bit would drill through without any problems, but naturally enough there will still be some soot around!

Sponsored Links
Depending on the age of the property, the chimney maybe of brick construction, with the inside partially rendered with cement (called 'parging' , if I recall). The chimney will be square or rectangular, and it will be as rough as hell on the inside.
Alternatively the chimney may be formed with sections of round cement pipe, but I'd doubt it.
Either way, a quality masonry bit would drill through without any problems, but naturally enough there will still be some soot around!

Perfect, thanks again John and I'll post back here if I have any more questions :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back