Removing Chimney Breasts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on the ground floor with a flat above me (and the roof above that).

I want to remove the chimney breast in the kitchen - its covered over and I will never need a fire in the kitchen.

Access to the flat above is problematical. My question is - is it possible to remove a chimney breast to the floorboards of the flat above? How is it supported?

Again, any info is gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
it is "possible" but it is NOT a diy job, and you will also need to have a "support wall" built to support the rsj holding up the chimney above, sort of defeats the object really, but thats just my opinion

Agreed with breezer and you may also need building permission as they are now getting tougher plus you might also have problem selling it on if no drawing plans was made.Best to get a free advice from your local building control.

We have recently dismantled our chimney breast from upstairs to the ground floor.

We had to summit a building control form from our local council and the technical surveyor informed us that we have to put a steel beam across from one side of the wall to the other side along with same steel plate.

Its possible in you situation but first and foremost you’d have to speak with you Building control.

Note, this isn’t an DIY job to put the steel beam up. Probably once the builder puts up the steel beam and council certifies it you can try dismantling the breaks etc…but its very missy job though!

Cost involved estimated

Council fee £117 for inspection
Builder labor £600 – 700 for the entire chimney plus putting up the steel beam brackets

1 chimney should be £300 - £350
Steel beam £80 -£90
Building material – Sharp sand cement etc…£80

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

I will look into stripping the wall back to the brick and opening it up as a feature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back