Anything I should bear in mind [boarding out disused terminated chimney]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We recently moved into our first home, we were advised that one of the original chimney breasts had been taken out from downstairs to the loft - it has been inspected and has been certified as safe in the loft space and correctly supported. However, for whatever reason (they stated bedroom upstairs was too small) they decided to then reconstruct the chimney breast with standard studding and 9" plywood in the living room. In front of which they then placed an electric heater.

We have taken out the electric fireplace as it's not to our taste and we have been left with the following:
IMG_20171019_075451.jpg

We are wanting to board out the 'square' that is left but wanted to ask if there is any kind of ventilation that would be required - I know if a full chimney was still in situ and was being blocked up then ventilation bricks should be utilised. We are hoping to mount a 'pull down' tv bracket onto the ply with reinforced studding behind.

In order to create the 'box' as it is we'd be using further studding and then MDF - I can't see any reason not to use MDF but again open to suggestions, possibly plasterboard? There won't be anything too weighty placed in the opening other than some lighting and possibly ornamental logs.

I guess im just more 'sounding' my idea out and trying to pre-empt any issues we might face before tackling it and coming up against them. If anyone has any advice at all that'd be great.

On a second note, in terms of mounting the TV, is anyone able to provide links to any cable faceplates to facilitate the passing of cables through the ply?

Sponsored Links
If you have sheet timber behind then plasterboard will give a better finish and you will have sound background to mount tv.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back