Humming noise from chimney

Thanks for the information Jonathan, lets hope that has cured the situation.
Alan (ballsacre)

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for posting this - Having suffered the same noise for two years I was considering moving - I thought it was a generator from an adjoining school but could never identify where it was coming from.

I've suspected the fridge, a local fish farm, a generator, vibration from the road, Tinnitus, a car engine, neighbours, but couldn't never track it down.

Never suspected it was my aerial acting as a tuning fork in the wind - it's been driving me crazy - I'm going to chop it down!

Thanks Again...

No problem...for info swapping the aerial fixed this for me - the design of the original aerial in the pics earlier in the thread was the culprit.

Sponsored Links
If you wrap the pole with cloths line and secure, it will break up the turbulence around the pole reducing movement [many chimneys have spiral flutes around them for the same purpose]

Ballsacre, what was the outcome of your planned rectification to the aerial you thought was most likely causing the humming noise? I have the same problem and have been searching for the source for several years! It had occurred to me that it might be the aerial ... Sleepless :unsure:

In the end I didn't I have to remove the aerial. I just got the local TV guy to reduce the length without loss of signal. No more humming. I've been sleeping without interruption ever since!

Hi Jonathan Taylor or any others who maybe able to advise me on this problem,

How long did the nightmare you experienced with your TV aerial being the culprit of that annoying sound; before you found the answer? I have exactly same sound constant humming droning for many hours a day, whether windy or not, and have tried every other single thing elec off,water mains off ,gas off, etc and still the humming persists.It's not the worldwide hum,or tinnitus as i only hear it inside my bungalow and nowhere else.

Desperate to solve this as may have to move as such is this hell leading to constant insomnia.

Fred

Basically exactly the same as the picture in thread above although the actual pole is about '36 inches higher.'

What i am failing to understand, is why the pole would or could resonate sound for 18-24 hrs day and night continuously ?

I actually think its a sound created by power,humming/droning or perceived by me as, or maybe infrasound travelling through to me from a good distance away.I've even suspected someone maybe running a drug farm nearby;and i am sensing fan hum being eminanted from there.

Basically exactly the same as the picture in thread above although the actual pole is about '36 inches higher.'

What i am failing to understand, is why the pole would or could resonate sound for 18-24 hrs day and night continuously ?

I actually think its a sound created by power,humming/droning or perceived by me as, or maybe infrasound travelling through to me from a good distance away.I've even suspected someone maybe running a drug farm nearby;and i am sensing fan hum being eminanted from there.
It may be nothing to do with the mast, hence request for pics.

Hi Jonathan Taylor or any others who maybe able to advise me on this problem,

How long did the nightmare you experienced with your TV aerial being the culprit of that annoying sound; before you found the answer? I have exactly same sound constant humming droning for many hours a day, whether windy or not, and have tried every other single thing elec off,water mains off ,gas off, etc and still the humming persists.It's not the worldwide hum,or tinnitus as i only hear it inside my bungalow and nowhere else.

Desperate to solve this as may have to move as such is this hell leading to constant insomnia.

Fred

I had the (hellish) issue for a couple of months before finding the solution - since swapping the aerial it's never reoccurred though.

I can imagine that the length of the pole in the other person's post could contribute, as the hum could be associated with resonance, which the pole length influences. Similarly the design of the aerial itself could influence the amount of wind being caught, hence vibration/resonance (below is a picture of the new design I had installed).

Resonance is associated with the natural frequency with which the structure vibrates (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance). Altering the length of the pole would alter this natural frequency, so there is a sound scientific reason why that might help. For info, mine made the noise even in both high, and what I perceived at ground level to be low, winds; although it was particularly noticeable at night when the rest of the house was silent.

In my case, comparing the before and after pictures, it does appear that the new pole is slightly shorter than the old one as well - I therefore can't tell you definitively whether it was the pole or the aerial, but replacing both eliminated the problem for me. Hope you get it fixed soon.

20190403_091402.jpg

Last edited:
The pole has an open end effectively turning it into a single note flute . Get similar problem from car roof rack if I don’t seal any gaps .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back