humming sounding noise in house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had this problem for around 6 months and is driving me mad.... I have this pump sounding vibrating humming noise in the house which start of faint and get louder. Not really loud but more annoying. I have spoken to the neighbours and they thought it was our house we thought it was theres. Now neither know whose house it is (semi detached) 1950's. When the noise happens I have turned off all electric and the noise continues, so this eliminates heating and electric. The house next door is not actually occupied at present but owner returns regular but has not had heating on for months or hot water, she has also issolated her electric during these noises and still gets the noise. These noises can happen any time 3am etc, I can go days without hearing. I thought it maybe my aerial so have gone on the roof to put caps on pole , the noise can be heard more upstairs, I have been in the neighbours house and could hear better up stairs, the loudest noise being when placing ear to adjoining wall of houses. Same side as chimney, I have no chimney though this was removed in 1958 and steel supported in loft. Maybe neighbours aerial needs attention, but cannot picture that this noise can be made by an aerial. Other facts to consider is that I have over head electric supply but surely the noise would be greater on the opposite wall of the house were the electric comes in or at the consumer unit(both of which I cannot hear noise). This noise is becoming a pain...Thought I had solved it with the aerial ammendments 4 days ago. And the noise returned 4 am today. Happy fathersday... Is windy today but has been windier this week and no noise.? wind direction ? who knows... Its not the fridge, dont know if turning off the mains water will prove anything as I have a combi boiler and no tanks and the noise can be heard when the neighbour has not been there for 3 days and in the middle of the night, so has not even turned on a tap. All bathrooms are on opposite sides of the house. any suggestions. P.S live miles away from train/tube/airport/main road etc. so can rule these out
what next guys

Sponsored Links
You've mentioned the wind and that's a possibility.
I had a "flapping" noise upstairs a while ago , intermitantly and varying in loudness. It took me ages to find it. I thought it was insects or rodents but in the end it turned out to be nothing more than a loose piece of mastic flapping against a window frame.
I'd keep a log of when you can hear the noise noting what is switched on or off ,time of day , wind direction and speed and so on.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies and they are appreciated, the neighbour does have a flue terminal on the chimney but not a rotating cowl type thing. The thing is the noise has only started in the last 6 months , and I have lived here for over 2 yrs. The thing is the noise is not a scratching or a flapping , it sounds like a pump lifting water that gets louder. I have used pumps to pump out water before (at work not at home)and it has that noise but slower. But the noise seems to happen when no heating or water is on . Strange. Just cannot connect aerial to this sort of noise. Interesting thing is you can hear the noise better listening with your ear to the rads but that is both in my house and the neighbours.Neither louder than the other. But believe this is just conducting the noise better, as central heating or water is not being used at the time. strange noise

Or
Chimney.jpg

I'm new here and trying to find the "ask a Question" button on the home page after logging in, is there one? any help is much appreciated, sory to crash in like this, it's all I could do!

I'm new here and trying to find the "ask a Question" button on the home page after logging in, is there one? any help is much appreciated, sory to crash in like this, it's all I could do!
Find the section you want to create a thread in and then click the 'new topic' button! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back