Wind Noise in bedroom - possibly from chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a chimney that goes through the master bedroom and into the living room. The master bedroom has basically become inhabitable as when it is windy outside there is a constant sound of hurling wind in the bedroom. It is impossible to sleep in the bedroom. I am assuming the noise is coming through the chimney. The problem with this is that the previous owners have placed large built in wardrobes across the length of the room covering the chimney and the alcoves. I therefore have never seen past the wardrobes and have no idea if the chimney is covered etc.

Can anyone please help shed some light on what is causing the noise (I know it is the wind!) and also what I can do about it. Am I going to have to take out the wardrobes?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I guess the obvious question to ask here is:
Is the chimney actually in use? If it is, you can get cowls that fit on the top that turn with the wind, and that could help.
If the chimney is not in use, the noise could be wind resonance as it flows over the top of the chimney. In this case, consider having the pot(s) removed and the chimney capped.
There isn't any point in removing your wardrobes - unless there is a hidden ventilator behind them (only for an unused chimney, naturally and rather unlikely).
John :)

Thanks John.

The Chimney is not in use. I wish it was though! I will have a look into this and see if I can get somebody out to cap the chimney for me.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back