Blocking disused chimney / cavities - advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been doing some reading about this but can't find a clear answer.

1. We have a disused brick chimney flue (on an external wall, all fireplaces now blocked off, 1930s semi). The top of the chimney flue opens in the loft (no chimney stack through the roof), so there is just the hole which is at the same level as the top of the external walls in the loft.

I am wondering about boarding and insulating over this opening (to lower heat loss), but worried that if it is covered we may get longer term problems due to removing ventilation.

2. The cavity walls are not filled (we had a survey but it said they couldn't be done - probably good given our location in west Scotland). Is it worth putting cavity socks in the cavity opening in the loft - again to lower heat loss ? Or again is it a bad idea for ventilation reasons ? Or is the view that it won't help with heat loss ?

Thanks in advance

Andy Clegg

Sponsored Links
I have been doing some reading about this but can't find a clear answer.

1. We have a disused brick chimney flue (on an external wall, all fireplaces now blocked off, 1930s semi). The top of the chimney flue opens in the loft (no chimney stack through the roof), so there is just the hole which is at the same level as the top of the external walls in the loft.

I am wondering about boarding and insulating over this opening (to lower heat loss), but worried that if it is covered we may get longer term problems due to removing ventilation.

2. The cavity walls are not filled (we had a survey but it said they couldn't be done - probably good given our location in west Scotland). Is it worth putting cavity socks in the cavity opening in the loft - again to lower heat loss ? Or again is it a bad idea for ventilation reasons ? Or is the view that it won't help with heat loss ?

Thanks in advance

Andy Clegg

Sure - cover the chimney up but then put in a £2 Screwfix openable vent and you're sorted

Hi. Thanks. We have an openable vent in one of the boarded up fire places. Would that give enough ventilation - or would you recommend another at the top of the flue (in the loft) ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back