Insulating Loft Advice Sought (sorry)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read through the many discussions about the loft insulation and not really finding a definitive answer to my specific case. So I hope somebody on here can advise on the best thing to do.

Background: Renovating a 1930's semi - damp problems, but all sorted. Insulating loft is next job - minimal, old insulation present, need to retain boarded for storage. Roof is new and loft is nice and dry. Cavity walls, but not insulated since deemed not suitable by installers - probably a good thing.

1. In loft there is a disused brick chimney flue (on external wall) in the loft which is not covered. There are no longer any fireplaces feeding into this. Can I just cover this with a board, with a view to lowering heat loss - or is this a bad idea for ventilation reasons ?

2. As the cavity walls not being filled, is it worth putting cavity socks in the cavity opening in the loft - again to lower heat loss ? Or again is it a bad idea for ventilation reasons ? Or is the view that it won't help with heat loss ?

3. Ideally I don't want the extra hassle of having to raise joists to get 270mm clearance under loft boards (joists are 100mm, but have centres that vary between 300mm and 400mm) - I might just insulate to the 100mm depth with standard insulation and accept it isn't as good. I guess the boards themselves will contribute somewhat to lowering the U-value ? Maybe using thin foil insulation as well would help ? If anybody has some suggestions on best option (cost vs benefit) to get a lower U value.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify my question re chimney in loft - it is the chimney flue opening in the loft that I am wondering about boarding and insulating over. There is no chimney stack (through the roof) so there is just the hole which is at the same level as the top of the external walls in the loft.

I'm worried that if I do cover it, that might lead to longer term problems due to removing ventilation, and same about cavity socks between inner / outer leafs of external walls.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back