wall lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, Im going to fit a wall light in my bedroom for reading etc, my approach is to take an FCU off the socket in my room which is in on the ring main(Ive checked to see if its suitable and it is) and feed the wall light from the FCU. but when i came to check the socket i noticed that it had no earth connected to it although the earth cable is present there. All sockets in the house have the same problem.

when fitting the FCU shall i still connect the FCU to the Earth terminal on the ring main socket?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
So are the earths (protective conductors) just loose and not connected to anything? Do you have any earthing in the house anywhere?

no there not connected to nefin just twisted together lose, not even the lighting circuit in our house has earthing cable, just two cables, red and black.

Sponsored Links
Are the red and black conductors covered in a PVC outer covering or are they singles that run in conduit from the socket, etc.

It may be that your house wiring is in steel conduit. the conduit will provide the earth.

Post a pic, we like pics!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back