wall mounted bath filler (confused)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have bought bath mounted filler but am confuesed about how to fit the spout part of it.

on the basin filler the collar slides up and down the spout and over the threads to hide any threads that are showing when you screw spout into valve,

but on the bath filler the collar does not go over the threads ! which i reckon means i will have to cut part of the thread as it is too long when screwed into valve!
can someone have a look at photos and give me there opinion on how it shall be fitted.
DSC00017.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cut the thread then :)

Or buy another make of spout - some designs are much better than others.

Get some Talon pipe clips - much better at securing the pipework.

The spout appears to have a backnut on it - suggests that the way you are trying to fit it may not be correct. Also the end of the spout hasn't got a flat face to seal inside the brass fitting so you may have to rely on PTFE on the threads to provide a seal. Once the spout is fitted the amount of leverage on the brass fitting may easily rotate the fitting - especially with plastic pipe clips providing the only visible support. Are you planning to plaster and tile over the fitting once the spout is in place?

Sponsored Links
yes plan too tile over cutting hole in tile for spout ! with chrome washer screwing up against tile to cover hole.

if i am trying too fit it incorrectly possibly, then any suggestioins how to do it

>suggests that the way you are trying to fit it may not be correct.

wrong they are designed to be fitted on a stud wall thats the idea of the nut.

in your case just remove the nut.

>Also the end of the spout hasn't got a flat face to seal inside the brass fitting

you use thread seal on the joint as you would on any mi / fi fitting.

most of these shower arms or bath fillers have a thread of about 45mm
your brass fitting in wall needs to be deeper in the wall, secured by good copper pipe clips,

The points I was trying to make are

1) The spout is not designed to be supported by the pipework - hence having a backnut

2) You should not be relying on thread seal when the fitting is being buried in the wall

3) From the photos there are at least 4 compression joints - all of which the poster plans to encase in plaster behind tiles - not really a great idea.

4) The only support is from two plastic pipe clips - not much goods at supporting any weight. Replacing them with clips won't solve the problem - you might get a bit more support using munson rings but that wont stop the potential rotational movement

Understand what the poster is trying to do but, in my opinion, the wrong product is being used for the wrong purpose

IMHO the correct fitting for installing this spout, in these conditions, is a backplate tee, viz:

yp30bp_15.jpg

Admittedly, I've never seen one with 22mm inlets, but I doubt that 15mm (as per above image) will be a problem for a bath filler spout.

As has been said, there's nothing wrong with cutting back the spout tail and sealing the thread - treat it just like a bib tap.

OK; before anyone else points it out, that FI outlet is 1/2" and not 3/4". B*gger.

Anyone seen a 22x22x3/4" backplate tee?

If not, then combine the hot and cold into a backplate elbow, e.g.:

this:

yp43_28.jpg

and this:

yp15_22x3-4.jpg

>newboy

i take you don't install bathrooms

>The spout is not designed to be supported by the pipework - hence having a backnut

rubbish - the nut is for stud wall fitting, if in brickwork you remove the nut and secure with a backplate.

>You should not be relying on thread seal when the fitting is being buried in the wall

don't talk like a pratt ffs you always you thread seal on any fi / mi fitting

you always use copper pipe clips in walls and any common sense tells you if you was a plumber you protect pipework thats going to be plastered over with denso tape

http://www.directa.co.uk/site/scrip...duct_id=1800&gclid=CPmY74CT1Y4CFSZFgQoduyjq6w

which i can tell your not a plumber and never will be.

hi-spec plumbing heating said:
which i can tell your not a plumber and never will be.
By self-admission I think we can be sure that 'newboy' is not yet a very experienced plumber, but I suspect that he wants to be, and IMHO that should be encouraged.

Thanks for that Softus

When 'hi-spec plumbing heating' has finished parading his gigantic ego he might like to remember that the original poster was asking for help so far all that he has offered is to add copper pipe clips

Incidently - as hi spec is a professional plumber could he let us all know how he plans to cover Water Regulations schedule 2 7.1 when it comes to the original fitting shown in the photo.

PS -
Yes I had figured out that the backnut was for a stud wall -doh
Yes I had figured out that thread seal was needed on the threads - doh
and finally - so that's what Denso tape is used for I always wondered -doh

PS just out of interest - what protects your copper pipe clips from corroding when covered with plaster?

hi-spec plumbing heating said:
......you protect pipework thats going to be plastered over with denso tape...

devils tape

Much nicer to use hairfelt lagging and double wrap with 50mm wide pvc tape...room for pipe expansion, no mess, and the plaster doesn't stain.

>what protects your copper pipe clips from corroding when covered with plaster?

same way you cover the pipe.

>he has offered is to add copper pipe clips

read again it states about the depth of the fitting, sealing the fitting etc

i suggest you get someone to show you how to fit a concealed shower from start to finish including the tiling
it seams to me you not picking it up.

>When 'hi-spec plumbing heating' has finished parading his gigantic ego

just giving some idea how it's done

don't need to parade a gigantic ego - my success in getting where i've got and getting what i have proves that.

don't mind helping anyone whos not sure but when people can't be told any advice then that's when their not worth it.

so when you stop making yourself look silly with your little experience but a big head
you might learn something

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back