Wall Mounted Combi Under Worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Floor mounted combi boilers seem to be very few and quite expensive. Is it possible to install a wall-mounted combi under a worktop?

If so, I guess height is likely to be a problem. Does anyone know of a suitable sized boiler? Perhaps one with a rear outlet flue?

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Since the flue comes out near the top it will be too close to a window opening if there is a window only just above the worktop level.

Tony

Tony - The outlet would be a few feet away from the nearest window.
Glasgowgas - Sorry, i don't follow??

Sponsored Links
a glow worm combi with rear entry flue would do the job,but gonna be nightmare to pipe in laying down on the floor and doing it.I dont envy the man who gotta do it :D

The Glow Worm Flexicom cx range has a direct rear-flue option (i.e. it goes straight out the back of the boiler rather than coming out of the top with an elbow first), saving you a few inches off the top. You still have to think about having enough space to install the pipework comfortably and having the clearances around the boiler for servicing etc.

Thanks very much for the info - at least there is an option out there. I think the 6" or so that it would leave underneath would be sufficient clearance for installation. There is a suspended timber floor underneath, which could perhaps afford even easier access.

Shame Glow Worm is in the "troublesome" list, but i suppose you can't have everything! And they are several hundred pounds cheaper than the equivalent floor standers.

Manufacturer's instructions state that 150mm is required below the boiler and 20mm above with the direct rear-flue. If the pipework can be run under the floors then straight up into the boiler, happy(ish) days!

Make sure the boards below the boiler can be fully removed to allow access.
Your average BG guy wont be happy having to stand in the solum to work on it though :LOL:

Thanks very much for the info - at least there is an option out there.

I think the 6" or so that it would leave underneath would be sufficient clearance for installation.

Whilst YOU may think this is sufficient and I must confess that I once fitted a boiler like that, it is a real pain to fit and a further pain when asked to repair or service a boiler fitted like that!

Tony

a flexicom needs about half an acre of elbow room around it for all the repairs you will be looking forward to. if you're thinking of fitting it between base units, good luck

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I did find some reviews on the glow worm and they were all pretty negative, so i may have to think again anyway. i'm really surprised at the lack of choice of floor-mounted combis - and the high prices, considering they seem to do a similar sort of job to the wall mounted ones.

Mind you, i'm no expert as i'm sure you've already gathered :)

it's a design parameter. where you have a burner you mount all the components below, away from the heat source. with all the pipes on a combi it's a logical step to make them suitable for wall mounting, not floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back