Wall mounted toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a wall mounted toilet cistern (the cistern doesn't rest on the toilet) be safely affixed to a plasterboard wall?

Or should it always be attached to a solid wall?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Can a wall mounted toilet cistern (the cistern doesn't rest on the toilet) be safely affixed to a plasterboard wall?

As long as you can affix it safely then no problem. It doesn't have to be a solid wall.

As long as you can affix it safely then no problem. It doesn't have to be a solid wall.

I was concerned that the weight of a cistern plus the water would mean the screws affixing it would simply yank out of the wall.

Sponsored Links
I'd hate to trust a cistern to cavity toggles alone..

Cut out a square which will be covered by cistern and introduce some wood. Even battens screwd/gripfilled to the back of the p'board would spread the load over a wider area.

I would agree with polesapart on this one, its not so much the weight its carrying but the damage it would cause if the toggles came loose.

So use speed brollies then... There is no "tear out" load, it is all vertical!
This is likely a plastic cistern, maybe inside a carcass?!?
Sure, timber grounds or noggs are always gonna be premium if you can't hit a stud, but I use toggles/brollies for kitchen wall units and rads, let alone a cistern!
They are up to the load and so is the board if soundly fixed and not knackered.

Being an old dinosaur I would want some wood behind the plasterboard - not a big hole though- just enough to get a bit of roofing batten through. It is a good point about the loading - shear load apparently, but.....:notworthy:

Being an old dinosaur I would want some wood behind the plasterboard - not a big hole though- just enough to get a bit of roofing batten through. It is a good point about the loading - shear load apparently, but.....:notworthy:

If a hole big enough to slide in some baton is cut, then use some speed brollies to secure it to this, how do you hold the timber in behind the plasterboard until the speed brollies have been screwed into it? How do you stop the timber from falling down the back of the wall?

Speed brollies won't work through plasterboard into timber!
They require a cavity into which they can expand like a, like a, well, like a "brolly" (umbrella)! ;)

You just screw woodscrews into the timber through the plasterboard- holding the batten against the back of the plasterboard with 2 fingers through the hole - you can nail a bit of string to the batten to pull it up if it drops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back