remote cistern for wall hung toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all from a newbie. Im a qualified automotive engineer so not totally stupid when it comes to diy and engineering but im no experienced plumber also!
After getting lots of incredibly high quotes for doing up my bathroom from local builders - ive decided to do it myself.
What I want to know is can I fit a wall hung toilet but mount the cistern in an adjoining wall i.e. not above the toilet pan? This is because the windows in my flat are stupidly placed quite low down and I don't think I have the height to fit the cistern in above the toilet pan.
I do however have a cupboard in the hall way that is on an adjoining wall to the bathroom which I could easily fit the cistern in.
As I understand it the new type of toil flush button works on some kind of air system to release the water from the cistern to the pan?
Im thinking that if I mount this high enough to enable a good fall of water then mounting on another wall shouldn't be a problem? all I would I have to do is reroute the mains water inlet - is this true? Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a plumber, but we've having a hung toilet fitted next week, and all the ones in the catalogue (there was quite an extensive collection) have the cistern behind them. It seems that the toilet has to fit to a frame, which the cistern is behind. The one we're having fitted in our bathroom will fit under our window (at 1m20cm) which seems to be the lowest that the ones in our catalogue go....

Yes you can put the cistern where you like, use an air release, and struggle just a little with the flush pipe, as long as the pan has a hole in the back like a Back To Wall one does.

Friend of mine's chippy and he didn't know about air releases, so he used a rosewood lever and a system of pulleys and sashcord. :)

thanks for the comments - where can i get one of these air release systems or are all hidden cisterns air release and i just need to extend the pipes? where does the air come from????
thx

Sponsored Links
Hi, did you eber fit the cistern away from the toilet in the cupboard? I want to do a similar thing ad have been told that there are two types, one that has a mechanical linkage to the cistern and one that has a hydraulic/pneumatic link. The mechanical ones can't be extened, but the other type can. Is that what you used? Do you have a source so I can buy the same one? Any problems apart form the obvious?
Thanks
Michael

Hi,

grohe make a cistern you can use. They come with quite a long tube, (for the pneumatic pressure), but even that you can replace if it is not long enough. You will also have to fit a pipe from the cistern to the pan, but you can use 1 1/2" pipe with universal fittings.

The last one we did was a cloakroom, with the cistern under the stairs fitted on the door itself with a flexible connector.
If someone tells you it can't be done, it just means they can't do it.

good luck

Lolli

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back