Wall hung toilet - no room for cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at installing a wall hung toilet. There is an 80mm void between the tiles and the brick wall behind. Tiles are on a plywood partition. The bricks are suitable for anchoring the steel frame, there is enough room for the soil pipe, however the 80mm void is not enough space for the cistern.

I am thinking I could fit the steel frame in the void without the cistern and put the cistern on an adjacent wall at right angles to where the toilet is. The pipe from the cistern would be about 1m long and two extra 90 degree bends, could be fitted higher than usual so can compensate for the extra pipe length with more water head.

Any comments? Will this work?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't that be a bit odd? Normally the button is located behind the WC pan

Sponsored Links
Thanks. It was a serious question. I've framed out for plumbers numerous times, but never seen such an arrangement as the one the OP proposes

I suppose the OP could always go old school I suppose. There's a local bathroom showroom selling the "latest thing" - all the rage:

burlington-standard-high-level-toilet-with-430-dual-flush-aluminium-cistern_01-cutout.jpg

It was inevitable that they would come back into fashion - I was just hoping it wouldn't be in my lifetime (memories of making a "midnight journey" through rain or snow to the end of the back yard!)

Last edited by a moderator:
The wall needs to be brought forward and the cistern put behind the toilet.
Not really an option. The toilet will be facing another wall , its already tight.

A previous renovation turned the toilet 90 degrees so currently there are two 90 degree bends in the soil pipe before it gets to the vertical part. The flush is not the greatest. Currently the outflow is a complete bodge.

These new wall hung toilets are much more compact so it recon it will be workable in its original orientation. I want to turn it back to the original orientation so the outflow has a direct connection to the vertical waste pipe. Willing to bodge the cistern to undo the dodge on the outflow.

Is it worth it?

Get some of that wall chopped out and set the cistern into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back