Wall outlet … (hiding cables)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of buying a 4K TV, and wall mounting it.

Looking at current TV, I have a fair bundle of cables ..
Mains cable
Optical out audio
2 x HDMI (To and from Surround sound receiver all other HDMI add-ons. Connect to that.)
Antenna coax
Ethernet

i could use one of those stick on 1/2 round trunking, but thinking be better to hide all in the wall.

it’s timber frame construction, thinking if there is some form of letter box or similar I could fit behind TV, and a second at near skirting level, and link the 2 with flexy conduit or similar.
Anybody know of anything suitable …

US have some options : https://inmyownstyle.com/hide-cords-wall-mounted-tv.html

UK option an idea but too small for 7 cables, don’t really want to add 2 of these. https://tinyurl.com/3mhn7x43

I have used brush entry faceplates, but in reality brushes are to flimsy and cables not kept tidy. https://tinyurl.com/2x6uxfw3

anybody used something better ?

Sponsored Links
I would investigate exactly what's immediately behind your plasterboard before you go assuming you can slide something down behind it first.

The U.S. product has power and video signal cables running together. That's not a great idea. I'd generally recommend a 9"-10" separation.

Also, if you're going to bundle HDMI with aerial coax then (a) make sure to use decent all-copper properly-shielded coax such as Webro WF100. HDMI cables radiate high frequency noise, and youve no idea how well- or how poorly- the cable shields itself from its neighbours. The one thing you can count on is coax cable shielding in WF100 and like products.

I've used brush plates in lots of installations. I can't say that it's ever been a problem keeping the cables tidy. The plates themselves tend to be hidden behind a TV or cabinet in a lot of cases.

The advantage with a loose cable falls inside the wall is that off-the-shelf leads such as HDMI come in predetermined lengths. The excess can be draped out of sight within the wall cavity if it's suitable. That also means that should the TV be changed then there's a way to pull through extra cable to cope with new socket positions or to hide the excess again if that's required. It's a very accommodating solution.

Beware American 'How to' videos. Their timber frame wall construction may not be like ours. We tend to have noggins running across between verticals. It's no big thing to open a bit of wall and cut an access hole through the noggin, but remember it has to be big enough for the plug ends to pass through without getting snagged on the other cables.

Include a draw string.

Sponsored Links
An oscillating multi tool will make a neat job of cutting out a (large) section of plasterboard in a way that can be refitted and fillered easily. Use a magnet to help locate screws holding the plasterboard, mark them up so you don't hit them with the tool.

On sections where there is nothing behind the plasterboard cut to support it (eg a horizontal cut between studs) cut a strip of wood about 3-4 inches wide (osb is handy for this), place it against the back of the plasterboard so 2 inches is visible along the cut and screw through the wall face into it. Then when refitting the cut plasterboard, you have something to screw to to support the sides of the cut

It’s not plasterboard, it’s Fermacell …. So easy to glue in a patch.

No worries about doing the job, just looking for some options on ‘outlets’
do agree that might makes sense to have separation for Coax

e-bay suggests something like this could be what you are looking for BUT its american in source and size but might give you food for thought

there is a british company that makes recessed power and av plates but i cant remember the name

edit found it syncbox

expensive though

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back