1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Hiding TV power cables

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Ldewson86, 20 Nov 2016.

1. Ldewson86

Ldewson86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys I have recently moved into a new build property and I have wall mounted a TV on to an internal stud wall in the kitchen/diner. I want to hide the cables behind the wall if possible but I am stuck when it comes to the power cables. The reading I have done seems to have conflicting views on whether power cables can be ran behind a stud wall or not. All the videos on YouTube seem to be geared up towards America. Could anyone give any suggestions on best method ?

Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. eddiewakey

eddiewakey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It will be fine. Although realistically you'd be better putting a socket behind the tv and plugging into that.

Power cable should run vertical or horizontal. Not both.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Ldewson86

Ldewson86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Eddie running the cable vertically will do the job thanks

5. mattwood22

mattwood22

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Definitely worth adding a new socket. The easiest way to do this usually is as a spur from a nearby socket. YouTube and these forums will help you.

Take your time when filling over the cables to make sure you get the best finish you can, using a nice thin mix of filler for the final layer.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Sam Gangee

Sam Gangee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm fairly sure that adding a new power cable run comes under Part P of the building regulations. Consequently, it must be tested and signed off by a suitably qualified electrician. Obviously, the correct type of cable needs to be run in conduit and suitably fused. I suspect that omitting a socket is not an option but I'm not an electrician so please do check.

8. WabbitPoo

WabbitPoo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think that adding a spur is NOT notifiable, but then I'm not an electrician either! One will be along in a while....or better still, ask the question on the electrical section

9. Sam Gangee

Sam Gangee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  10. andymor

andymor

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply.

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links