Is it safe to cut tv power cable?

again good point. but for the purpose of the topic, i would recomend putting a longer fig 8 lead where needed, rather than chocblocking it! lol

the topic author doesnt state how long the lead needs to be, and whether he needs to extend the cable, or just change the plug?!

Sponsored Links
again good point. but for the purpose of the topic, i would recomend putting a longer fig 8 lead where needed, rather than chocblocking it! lol

the topic author doesnt state how long the lead needs to be, and whether he needs to extend the cable, or just change the plug?!

He said he just needs to pass it through a wardrobe side. Taking the plug off is the easiest and neatest method.

If you can't wire a plug safely you shouldn't even be using electricity. ;)

it is scary to know for sure that there are so many people that dont know how to wire a plug properly. I have trained ex builders ex firemen and people who should know how to wire the common 3 pin plug! lol

If it is a 2 core 5 amp lead, then the author has no real issues!

Happy foruming! :LOL:

had a thought....... why is there a plug socket in the wardrobe in the first place??? lol

Sponsored Links
had a thought....... why is there a plug socket in the wardrobe in the first place??? lol
lol too.

I have come across houses where wardrobe doors have been fitted across the alcove between chimney breast and the return. This will encase a mains socket in those situations.

On the topic of removing the plug.... really, what's the big deal? As manufacturers cut costs more and more TVs are coming fitted with captive mains leads. There really is no other option but to chop off the plug in some cases. Personally I prefer to use an inline IEC plug & socket as a way to fit a new mains cable when required. When installed correctly it provides a safer connection, and should anything change in the future it also gives the householder the opportunity use standard IEC power leads rather than mess about cutting up mains leads.

Expensive that way, though. Decent IEC connectors are pricy, the cheap ones are nasty and definitely not safer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back