Mounting TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to mount TV on the wall in kitchen/diner.

The wall is outside brick, and I plan to raggle the wall and fit in trunkin big enough to feed 1 x power cable and 1 x hdmi 1 x cat6 down it.

Top and bottom will be a single pattress box for the cable entry/exit.

My question is where do I have the cables coming out behind the TV? I've attached a photo of the rear of the TV and marked red X where I think would be best area behind the TV.

Thoughts?

I previously used D line trunking surface run which was fine but since the walls are getting plastered thought best to raggle in some trunkin.

Attachments

• IMG_3806.jpg
    IMG_3806.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i would have the cables exit the wall in the area of the left hand x in the pic and then route the cables over the top of the centre to the connections on the other side. if you use stick on cable tie bases you can keep the route across the top of the centre bulge tidy and the cables wont sag down and show

Thanks @Sureitsoff? great advice, never thought of that way to take the cables, will bring the cables out on the left side.

Other option I guess is in the middle, above the bit that sticks out towards top of TV blue X. Above option tho prob gives more room for error or play.

I had originally though to bring them out at the bottom of the TV in the middle as thats how it was done last time with the surface D line trunkin but wasnt until I was look at the back of the TV that space where the X is seemed the most logical space for room.

Is there anything smaller than a single socket pattress box that coule be used?

Attachments

• IMG_3806.jpg
    IMG_3806.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Above and centre line of the bracket. Tye TV should be on a bracket with a bit of tilt anyway, so there'll be more space above the bracket compared to anywhere else.

Don't bother with socket face plates. Bury a backbox as normal, but use a brush plate to finish off. Leave enough speared cable to reach a foot or so past your present TVs socket positions. This spare cable hides in the wall or under the floor. Doing it this way means the signal cables are always the right length since you just pull out what's needed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Lucid

My phone plan was to chase the wall and install trunkin and plaster over however am I mad to think I might be better to drill a larger hole through the wall take the cables externally down the outside wall and back in?

I could have conduit or outdoor cable protecter guard over what would be tv power lead and hdmi cable.

Where its an outside wall then there should be a cavity between the inner and outer skins of block/brick-work.Depending on the age of the property there may be insulation in some of that space, but it may still be possible to pass cables down without going outside.

It's worth mentioning that running power cables close to or through insulation can create an electric blanket effect with small cross sectional area conductors, so it's a good idea to overrate to something thicker with larger CSA conductors. An LCD LED TV won't draw a lot of power - 200W at most unless gigantic - so the cable size doesn't need to be massively overspec'd.

Running outside is a possibility, and certainly the conduit will help by offering some protection

I think the walls have been filled with cavity wall insulation, its a 1960s property.

The power cable would be the lead from the power pack that is through the wall. It might be easier just to chase the wall and put in a new power socket behind the TV, then trunkin in for the HDMI, just need the HDMI for the SKY Q mini

I think the walls have been filled with cavity wall insulation, its a 1960s property.

The power cable would be the lead from the power pack that is through the wall. It might be easier just to chase the wall and put in a new power socket behind the TV, then trunkin in for the HDMI, just need the HDMI for the SKY Q mini
Don’t forget an aerial cable.

no need for aerial, all through sky q mini, or netflixs, amazon, Disney etc, no need for freeview

wonder if this knock out hole will fit an hdmi through it though? Anyone used it?

The gap i need to cover is 35cm from bottom of TV to top of table wonder if I ma better just using D line again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back