Wall panel heater vs fan heater query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My newly refurbed kitchen is cold as we don't have central heating down that end of the house and it's on the side return external wall. Extending the central hearing isn't an option yet, so I need an electric alternative. I've considered a plinth fan heater to use when we are using the kitchen, but quite fancy a wall mounted panel heater (the plug in radiating type rather than a wall mounted fan heater) as I reckon I could keep it ticking over on low to take the edge off the cold, rather than using a blast of warmth whenever we're using the kitchen. Is there anything else I should consider? Style and looks are as important as cost in this particular case.

Sponsored Links
There are three ways to heat electrically.
1) Convection be it natural or forced.
2) Radiation i.e. something will glow red.
3) Heat pump.
Forgetting heat pump the selection of other two will depend on room use.

Radiation is instant and does not heat the air often used in garages where the door is opened a lot it works by line of sight and is also instant off. You can't control as such it is either on or off so only real way to control is more or less heaters. Over time it will heat items in the room which in turn will heat the room. Great where instant heat is required for a short time but it is uncontrollable it can't really use any thermostat as the thermostat measures air temperature. but units can be mounted high facing down.

Convection be it an oil filled radiator or a fan heater these can be controlled by a thermostat and heat by warming the air. It really does not matter which type 1kW in = 1kW out.

Using a combination of both does work. For many years I had radiated heat I only used at night they were called light bulbs. The radiated heat at night worked well it saved having a special thermostat with different temperature programmed for day and night so with a fixed heat output as with a simple thermostatic radiator valve they saved energy by reducing energy waisted during the day by allowing the valves to be set to a lower heat. So in real terms we could call the tungsten bulb energy saving!

You could do the same not maybe with the simple bulb but with a radiant heater boosting the heat when room is in use but using a fan heater to take the chill off the air so cold air from that room does not cause a cold draft to rest of house.

If it's a quick heat up you require Fan heater will do the job.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Plinth fan heater would be my choice as it doesn't take up any wall space and will heat the kitchen faster that waiting for a convector (panel) heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back