Wall/Pillar for Steel Beam Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, have posted before, we are fitting a steel beam to removed a load bearing wall in the living room and am after some advice , its 152x152x25 Ub at 3,15m its been calculated with a bearing of 100mm, one side its going onto a pillar tied into the outside wall, thats fine, the issue is the other side, it can't go into the party wall due to issues so we are going to have to build a wall/pillar where there is currently a door way from the living room where the steel is going to the narrow hall way, for some reason the whole house has a concrete floor but the 900mm x 3m hallway is timber, the concrete stops rite on the doorway, the hall has a floating floor 350mm above the hard clay/stone, we are going to dig down and place new footing in for the new wall/pillar in the doorway , they are going to be 1.2m long by 600mm wide at a minimum depth of 250mm, obviously dug down to solid ground, but i don't thing we will need to go far are the ground as already 350mm down.

after all that my main question is this, what size wall can the Steel sit on ?, do i need to build a pillar from this new foundation or can get way with a single 100mm wall, its only going going to be 1.2m long filling the timber frame section removed , if we need a pillar what size would you advise ? i don't know if a wall 100mm wide only 1,2m long would be strong enough, perhaps a 200mm pier where the steel sits ? its all being built from engineer brick

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, a bit confusing but irrelevant in any case as this needs to be designed by whoever designed the beam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back