Wall plastering/repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice please regarding one wall of our front room please.

A long term water leak from the bathroom above (before we moved in) caused quite a bit of damage to one wall and the plaster has crumbled quite badly. see pics

//media.diynot.com/212000_211309_72759_19368526_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/212000_211309_72760_14287473_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/212000_211309_72761_62213974_thumb.jpg

together with a bit of electrical chasing work plus capping for wall mount tv and burglar alarm, I now need to replaster the wall.

my question is what is the best method? I've removed all the really loose existing plaster but would it be wise to strip the whole wall and then board and skim? or can I just patch up? my plastering skills are limited to slapping on a bit of PVA and then using multi-finish at the moment but i'm willing to learn and try.

out of interest how much roughly would a tradesman charge (Manchester area) as we've recently had our first child so time is at a premium and wondered if it might be wise to get a pro in.

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi

If the remaining plaster is sound and well fixed, you can probably patch the areas that are back to brick with Bonding.
You'll need to apply diluted pva first to control suction. By filling in the areas, you have levels to work to, so it makes it easier and can probably do it yourself.
If you've not skimmed before, then you may be better getting a pro to do this bit. If just skimming, will be cheaper.

Oh, I would also make sure the capping is at least below the level of the existing plaster. If it is too proud, it could crack after as the multi finish plaster on top will be too thin after skimming.

If you think the remaining plaster is weak, by all means take it back to brick. An alternative is float&set to replace the original, but boarding would be easier (especially if you are doing yourself)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back