New skim patch fell off the wall! Patch up ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had a job done and it's not turning out well, so looking for some opinions/advice about what to do.

Plastering job included skimming one of the bedroom walls, as well as boarding & skimming ceiling.

It looked ok, but when I was applying the mist coat the plaster started to come away from the wall. Plasterer came back and (easily) pulled a large circle off. The painted round all the edges with PVA and came back the next day to plaster in the patch.

//media.diynot.com/216000_215395_73419_65193080_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/216000_215395_73420_67161476_thumb.jpg

Question 1 - Is this satisfactory? Is the quality of finish going to suffer?

Upon his advice I lightly sanded down around the patch and have applied 1 mist coats. It seems like there is a fair amount of exposed PVA on the wall now and the paint is not covering it well. I'm also starting to get uneven patches - some with a solid coat of paint and some still looking dirty.

//media.diynot.com/216000_215395_73421_25136794_thumb.jpg

Question 2 - Any advice? Should I worry about it?

Feel like I've paid a small fortune for this little job and I though I was paying to get an excellent finish - downflated at the moment :(.

If anyone has any useful opinions or advice I'd be really grateful. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
He should have re-skimmed the whole wall!

You will always see the patch.

A terrible job!!!
It amazes me how a so called "plasterer" can do a job,, a really simple job,, that falls to bits when it's painted. As Alastair said, you'll always see that patch, and he should have re-done the whole wall.
You probably employed some chancer that went on a weeks course, then calls himself a "plasterer". You've probably paid him by now, but i'd still tell him what you think of his work. These people make me sick. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back