Wall preparation before Wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to wallpaper two walls, ones a stud wall and the other a brick wall both plastered and have been wallpapered before. Is there any sense in applying or painting something to the walls before papering in order to dampen the surface to make sure that the wall doesn't soak up the paste?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I would put a blinding coat of White Emulsion on first this will stop the wall surface colouring show through the paper,
when dry it will also show up any nibs or bumps in the plaster that can be rubbed down, then size the wall with wallpaper paste as instructions.

I'm not fully up with the lingo but when you chat about blinding coat do you mean painting the walls with an undiluted coat of white matt emulsion before hanging the paper?

I'm not fully up with the lingo but when you chat about blinding coat do you mean painting the walls with an undiluted coat of white matt emulsion before hanging the paper?
A diluted coat/s of White Matt Emulsion to cover up the wall colour and stop it showing through the wallpaper, plus when you have sized the walls it makes the paper slide easier , make sure you soak the wallpaper with the paste for several minutes prior to hanging

Sponsored Links
A diluted coat/s of White Matt Emulsion to cover up the wall colour and stop it showing through the wallpaper, plus when you have sized the walls it makes the paper slide easier , make sure you soak the wallpaper with the paste for several minutes prior to hanging

What ratio would I dilute the emulsion to? Equal parts emulsion to water?

I did not notice you said two walls had been wallpapered in the past, these walls need a good wash down to clean off the old paste, use trade contract matt emulsion, dilution details should be on the tin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back