wall tiles - do I seal the tops and sides?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Put some wall tiles on with adhesive yesterday. Planning to put grout on tonight (it will have been 24hours for them to dry by then).

1/
The tiles come into contact with the work surface and on the ends they are open to the wall.
Do I grout the bottom part, tops and sides that are open or should these be sealed with some type of sealant/Mastik ?

2/
They are satin tiles and the adhesive I have says it can't be used as grout on satin tiles. Any idea why? I have a separate grout to use but would rather use the pot of adhesive/grout if possible...

Sponsored Links
DrGonzo said:
1/
The tiles come into contact with the work surface and on the ends they are open to the wall.
Do I grout the bottom part, tops and sides that are open or should these be sealed with some type of sealant/Mastik ? Seal the bottom joint with silicone sealant. If you've not used plastic trims for the edging then you can neaten the edges with grout or decorators caulk (both can be emulsioned).

2/
They are satin tiles and the adhesive I have says it can't be used as grout on satin tiles. Any idea why? I have a separate grout to use but would rather use the pot of adhesive/grout if possible...Don't use adhesive in place of grout - it tends to shrink back and is softer. Always use a powdered grout - don't use pre-mixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back