Grouting glass tiles

crt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to grout some 100x100x10mm glass wall tiles in a bathroom. I fixed them using waterproof adhesive, leaving 3mm gaps.

The adhesive manufacturer recommends leaving 24 hours before grouting but I have been told elsewhere that if using glass tiles it is better to wait 48 hours as the glass does not draw out the water from the adhesive like ceramics.

What do people think?

If I grout too soon what goes wrong?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
crt said:
If I grout too soon what goes wrong?
The tile adhesive behind the tiles won't dried 100% and many people know don't this that the grout is not 100% waterproof :!: It's only for decorative appearance.

Thanks for your prompt advice.

Does that mean that the adhesive will never dry out? (Seems unlikely)

What do you think about the 24 vs 48 hour issue?

Yes the adhesive will dried out eventfully but take a long time when filled in with grout straight away and as grout are not 100% waterproof, all the good work will be undone if the tile adhesive is not dry, 48 hrs should be long enough in a normal temperature room as it need air to dry it out. Longer the better though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'd better leave it another day then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back