Using tub adhesives / grout lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to use some ready-mixed adhesive/grout tomorrow for the first time. Anything I should bear in mind? I've only used cement-based adhesives and separate grout before.

Also, is it possible/advisable to tile without grout lines? The tiles have been picked to match the kitchen work surface so would look better without grout lines.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean - you've GOT to use it? Adhesive and grout in one is like tiling with whipped cream, i.e. not good. Why are you using it?

Thanks for the reply.

I did a job for someone today and they'd already bought the adhesive.

I'm grouting tomorrow but I'm using the tried and tested Bal with microban instead of their adhesive/grout.

Most professional tilers dislike fix n grout, as not particularly user friendly & invariably comes only in brilliant white. Nevertheless, it is normally a good grade of water proofness(gradeA).
Personally, I would always grout in order to avoid tiles popping off in future. Inevitably, water/steam/dampness will get behind the tile in a kitchen, if you merely butt the tiles together. While I note you are using bal , quite frankly, if you are bearing the cost, you are paying an exhorbitant sum of money when you can get a decent adhesive & separate coloured flex grout at half the price in your independent tile retailer. (avoid topps/ & other similar tile 'chains' who load costs onto materials)

Sponsored Links
just try a standard brand like unibond/evostik / granfix etc 'in house 'brands at indepedents which wont rip you off. Its just that brands like ardex & bal are good but so expensive & are used only where 1)architectural requirements dictate that this must be used by builders 2) people are gullible & are told they must use the most advanced materials for the most basic of jobs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back