Wickes Adhesive and Grout/Tiling Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wickes have an offer on the moment for their waterproof combined adhesive and grout, buy one and get the second half price, which for the quantity of tiles I have to do (around 20m2) equates to around £23.00 for two tubs. The place I am buying my tiles from reckon I need 4 tubs of adhesive at a total cost of around £100!

Does anyone have experience of the Wickes product? Are there any pros and cons to using combined adhesive and grout as opposed to adhesive and grout products separately?

I'm having the existing bathroom suite taken out and replaced. I intend to tile the areas behind the WC and basin before the new suite is fitted. As far as the bath is concerned would it be better practice to tile before the bath is fitted and if so, tile below the level of the bath where it abuts the wall?

Sponsored Links
General opinion is to avoid adhesive/grout combos. You will get a better job with separate sdhesive and powdered grout.

What are you tiling onto and what size and type of tile are you using, all of these will affect your choice of adhesive and grout.

The amount of adhesive will be governed by the notch size of your trowel but the tile shop were right, 5m2 to a large tub is about right.

One point to note is that "waterproof" when used in this context means that the adhesive/grout will not be damaged by water, they DO NOT form a waterproof barrier :!:

Tile behind the basin & loo. Fit a batten to the nearest full tile above the bath and tile the wall, then fit the bath and bo the cuts or fit a full tile down to the bath, less chance of dropping a tile in the bath and easier to reach the top of the wall

Jason

Thanks Guys.

I am tiling onto paramount type partition. The old tiles came off reasonably well, but I think I will need to seal it first? The surface is now a mixture of paint and the paper that the board was finished with in the first place where removing the tiles has pulled it away. [/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back