Wall unit corner post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
G'mornin

Firstly, really not a DIYer, so apologies if my post is a bit dense. Secondly, it's a B&Q flat pack kitchen and I'm trying to fit a corner post to my wall units. The post itself doesn't come with any fixings or instructions, but does have four enigmatic holes in the rear, that don't line up with any potential fixing points on the carcass / shelves. I don't know whether I'm meant to use L shaped brackets and fix it to the unit carcass (which would obviously mean the post remains in situ when either of the doors are open) or whether I'm meant to fix it to one of the (predominant) doors. If the latter, with glue and clamps?

Obviously, because I'm an idiot, I've already fitted the corner carcass to the wall and there's no way it's coming down - really low ceilings meant we had a helluva job sliding / wiggling it into place, to be honest, I'm amazed it's still in one piece. To that extent, I'd like the most stability inducing solution.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't fix it to the door.
It's usually screwed to the carcasses and yes, angle brackets are the way to go.
Little trick.
Fit the doors and adjust them to their final position, then mark where you want the corner post so it is also lined up with the doors.
Then finally, screw the post in.

For future reference, for low ceilings, before you hung the cabinets, lower the brackets to their lowest point, then hung and adjust the brackets to the up position so you don't have to struggle.
Usually there's a good inch play.

Don't fix it to the door.
It's usually screwed to the carcasses and yes, angle brackets are the way to go.
Little trick.
Fit the doors and adjust them to their final position, then mark where you want the corner post so it is also lined up with the doors.
Then finally, screw the post in.

Perfect, thank you. Makes total sense. Have a lovely day.

Sponsored Links
For future reference, for low ceilings, before you hung the cabinets, lower the brackets to their lowest point, then hung and adjust the brackets to the up position so you don't have to struggle.
Usually there's a good inch play.

Thank you. We did this. Which is how we managed, just about, to get it into place. Unfortunately, the fixings don't have a 'stop block' (or whatever it's called) before the thread runs out and turns into smooth / unthreaded metal that won't bite. Not sure I'm making sense, but essentially it means that trying to find the lowest point of the bracket is a bit hit and miss, go too far and I can't tighten up (due to lack of bite) and so I have to remove and replace the whole bracket. Found that one out the hard way.

Holes in the rear may be for shelf support “pins”. If so they will align with shelf support holes in the carcass.

Holes in the rear may be for shelf support “pins”. If so they will align with shelf support holes in the carcass.

Ah, thanks, I'll check this.

Good news, corner post in place, all looking good. Appreciate the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back