Wallpaper or plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help? We're renovating our house that hasn't been touched since the 80s... We have two floors covered in what we thought was woodchip but it seems it's something else..does anyone know what this is and how best to remove it?

Any help or advice would be amazing! Cheers
IMG_20240212_223659.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not sure what distinction is being drawn there; I always considered artex as a form of plaster. Given the age of it and that it's a textured coating I'd mask up and break a chunk off, send it away to be tested for asbestos then you can know how careful you need to be when removing the rest of it

Sponsored Links
Thanks Robin, so we had an asbestos survey and it came back negative. It seems really stuck to the wall and not sure steamers will work to get it off?

Laced bark pattern. It's artex.

Roller to create pattern and when artex starts to firm up id run a plastic blade over (called a lacer)
I knew a guy that used a plastic emergency sign off office wall as a lacer.
I used one made by artex
Good it came back from testing for asbestos as clear.

Last edited:
If you want to get rid of the pattern you're only option is skimming the walls.
Otherwise if you don't mind keeping it as it is, paint over it with a long pile roller.

We have two floors covered in what we thought was woodchip but it seems it's something else..does anyone know what this is and how best to remove it?
wall treatment is the only reliable option.

I have used a steamer in the past. It is slow though.

I paid about £140 for my steamer over 10 years ago. It is now over £500!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back