ceiling: lining with paper or plastering?

You don't use 'one coat'. That has got lumps in it. The reason I can do it cheaper is that I can do it faster. Papering isn't something that I do much of - so takes me twice as long. Gedditt yet?

Sponsored Links
You don't use 'one coat'. That has got lumps in it. The reason I can do it cheaper is that I can do it faster. Papering isn't something that I do much of - so takes me twice as long. Gedditt yet?

A good qualified Paper hanger should be able to line an average ceiling in less than half a day, ( which would reflect on the cost of the job compared to plastering. )

How long do you think plastering takes? Not only that, but a plastered ceiling will have no lumps or bumps, dips or hollows that a papered ceiling has - not to mention joins. ;)

we had all our ceilings plastered (apart from living room and dining DOH!) for a better look. they had some bobbly artex pattern. As long as you get a decent plasterer you will get a better finish than lining paper and be much happier you paid a little extra now for the plaster option.

my vote. get it plastered. get three quotes so you have an idea of the average.

Sponsored Links
I can plaster cheaper than lining paper.

does that include covering existing wall finishes and carpets, removing all furniture etc.

I'm not trying to facetious but a decorator can work in a room that has furniture in it with less difficulty than a plasterer and generates less mess.

That said, in this case I would recommend a skim.

hi everyone, thanks for your posts.

i have been told that with plastering there is a risk that hairline cracks might appear in the future and therefore better to go for paper

quotes i've been given: £2,000 lining. £2,750 plastering.

this is in north london.

any views?

Yes. It's not even a week's work and just £50 in materials. Get more quotes.

I'm gonna move to London if I can make two and a half grand per week.

My price would be £750, plastered and painted.

this is in north london.

any views?
Yes . you`re too far away :cry: S. London / bottom of M25 and it`d be worth coming up from E. Sussex ;) . It`s deader than a dead man`s dead bits here - W. Sussex is busier - but it takes as long to get there as it does to Croydon + in a bit :rolleyes: .

where abouts in North London? I can put you in contact with my plasterer (west London based, he lives in ruislip)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back