Fading Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble painting a bedroom ceiling. We stripped the walls bare leaving the original lining paper (i think that's what it is) on the ceiling - it was covered in nicotene stains but we washed it down and painted the room white. However, the paint on the ceiling seems to fade as soon as it dries no matter how many coats. My dad has to advised using woodchip (which I hate) or anaglypta wallpaper but I would like it to be smooth like the walls. I thought we could put new lining paper over the original lining paper and repaint but he seems to be against this. Is there anything else we could try or should I just strip the original lining and start from scratch?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No amount of coats will stop the nicotene bleeding thru.

The ceiling has either been lined without the ceiling being sealed, and the nicotene has bleed thru the paper, or the nicotene has settled on the lining paper.

The chances are that even if you stripped the lining paper, you would have to seal the ceiling before you applied new ling paper.

Here is a cheapish way of sorting it out.

Dont put any more emulsion on the ceiling now, go and buy a tin of oilbase undercoat, (must be oilbased) thin with white spirit as undercoat will be too thick otherwise, and you will be labouring, trust me, (I have just undercoated every fercking ceiling on the job I am on cause of the nicotene, and my arms are falling off) lol
The next day, emulsion the ceiling again with your ordinary white emulsion, you might have to do 2 coats, but you will have the whitest ceiling, so wear some sunglass. lol

Sponsored Links
I ave had a few ceilings like that..a recent one was covered in unpainted artex..I give it a spray with some watters down bleach first then mixed PVA in with the first coat of vinyl silk and let it dry overnight..odnt the second coat of silk..

Bosh!...looked a treat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back