Hanging paintable wallpaper horizontally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had people in to knock down a stud partition wall and strip and paper the walls with paintable wallpaper (Anaglypta paper).

They have papered my walls horizontally with this paper (for speed apparently). Several friends have commented on this stating that paper should only be hung like this if it's lining paper and will be covered with a final wallpaper layer vertically. As I intend to paint, do I need to make them start again or will this be OK?

Sponsored Links
the way they have papered your walls is the correct way if it will be painted its so that when you paint it you should see less if not no lines ignore your friends they don't know what there on about

Its ok providing the pattern suits..ie its going to look pretty stupid if its a flowery paper.

It can be quicker and somtimes less waste..I just hope they have made a good job of it..cos its going to look really bad if you can see the seams once its painted.

I have papered a coloured finish paper horizontally..on one wall and did the other three vertically, ..grey background with red black and white zig zags..(anyone remember that from the mid eighties???)

It was fine..

Your friends are wrong..there are no set 'laws'..only common sense (and bad taste in my case!)

God where do i start on this one ? firstly ,lining paper was originally done horizontaley for a good reason ,being so the joints of the finish paper wudnt be in the same place as the lining paper ,but today lining paper comes in grades,thickness ,from 400 to 2000 grade and it measures 22 inch wide where as standard finish paper is 21 inch wide therfore the problem now as dissapeared ,also if im putting lining on with the idea of painting it after ,i do it verticly ,reason being its easier to get a precise cut at the ceiling to wall edge as every ceiling as a undulating edge which shows in the finished job . so now hanging anaglypta horizontaley ,thats a cheap tacky cowboy way of doing it ,the guys doing this i wudnt say are decorators more like paper slingers that work on speed ,also this can only work if the paper as a random match,pattern etc ,i myself wudnt do this for another reason ,most walls are approx 7 ft 6 to 8 ft 6 or 3 to 4 lenghts per roll ,if you hang it sideways you will get 2 lenghts and a short lenght that wont go anywhere in the room ,so i would say take your friends advice !

Sponsored Links
As a general rule of thumb lining paper should be in the vertical position if painting it, and crosslined before hanging wallpaper.

I have seen woodchip of which had been hung horizontally, but myself doing such with any other type of wallcovering I would view as bad practice.

Dec.

AULD post ;)

Sorry I dont agree dec .. as long as no seams are visible, or any pat looks right. Cutting into cnrs should'nt be a prob to a skilled deccie.
ok a scaffold plank and steps required etc...
Though as Zampa stated back in 2008 common sense.. ;)

personal choice.myself i hang lining paper as cross lined whether its to be painted or used as to have a finished paper ontop.in 25 years i have never hung a fresco/embossed/anaglipta paper horizontally,although where it is a none descript pattern i have been known to do across windows/doors horrizontally and spliced into my vertical drops for quickness.no one can tell as its a none discript pattern.but i can say ive never hung them horrizontally.not heard of this before,sounds very diy.if your doing it diy and it looks ok,fair play to you.if your paying a proffessional decorator to paper your walls then it should be done in the traditional and proffessional way.i can paper a 12 x 12 standard room in aprox 2 hours.....cant see it been much quicker cutting the corners these guys have by hanging horrizontal

Depending on what you're trying to achieve paintable wallpaper can be hung either way. If you've got a pattern on it as long as the pattern works horizontally and the seams are done well you should be fine. I've seen some wonderful paintable wallpaper patterns that have been hung horizontally and you can't tell the difference at the end.

Good luck with it.

Cheers
Julie
Home Interior Mag

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back