Wallpaper stripped - what to do about the resultant mess!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I stripped the wallpaper -using a steamer - off plasterboard walls, I accidentally pulled off bits of the plasterboard paper leaving brown bits showing, and the tape that was on the seams (this looks just like masking tape). The whole place looks a mess and I wondered if I could just cover it with a heavy embossed paper which I would then paint.

If I do use embossed paper, will the brown bits eventually show through?

If using embossed paper which is to be painted, I read on this forum that it should be hung horizontally. From that would I be right in assuming that should I also need lining paper, this should be hung vertically?

Sponsored Links
Quite a common problem - done it myself a few times!

You really want to get the wall a smooth as possible, even with a heavily embossed paper you can still see big irregularities. Certainly re-tape the joints and run a skim of easifil over them. I would also fill and sand any gouges and sand off any tags of paper. I would give the wall a coat of 1 part PVA to 4 parts water and allow to dry, this will stiffen up the loose paper and you should then be able to sand. Note - never ever use PVA if you are planning on painting straight over - OK for paper though.

Brown bits of plasterboard won't show through.

You don't need to hang embossed paper horizontally - that is for lining paper.

Hope this helps, get back if you have any probs

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back